Last updated on September 29, 2022 4:40 am by the writer.
A quick answer
You can generally fit 42 to 80 bags of concrete in a 48-inch x 40-inch pallet when ordering from the common USA hardware store.
The specific number of bags still depends on the weight of the bags and what kind of material the pallet is made of.
The type of concrete does not play a factor in this case and the amount of concrete that can fit on a pallet mostly depends on the size and weight of the bag and the size of the pallet. (Details below).
Commercially available concrete commonly comes in 40-pound, 50-pound, 60-pound, and 80-pound bags.
However, their availability can still vary according to the type of concrete and manufacturer, such as other types of concrete-like mortar mix being available in less conventional sizes such as in 10-pound bags.
Lifting weight limitations
1. Truck-mounted crane
A heavy-duty truck-mounted crane can lift from 20 Ton to 25 Ton or 40,000 pounds to 50,000 pounds. A US Ton is equivalent to 2000 pounds.
Truck-mounted cranes can be used as transportation while also being able to load and unload materials, without the need for additional lifting equipment due to models typically having a boom reach that can be utilized.
2. On-site rolling jacks
An on-site rolling jack is a platform that can lift up to 9,000 pounds since they are typically used for lifting heavy portable loads on pallets.
On-site rolling jacks can be used to raise the rear or front of a vehicle, in order to perform brake and wheel services.
But on the building site, a rolling jack can be used to lift pallets loaded with concrete bags.
A forklift has a carrying capacity of 3,000 pounds up to more than 70,000+ pounds, proving to be very strong in lifting weight, having a potentially higher limit.
A forklift is a small industrial truck used for covering a small area, typically used for moving materials around short distances like cement on a pallet.
A crane has 39,600 pounds as the average maximum weight limitation for carrying but of course, there are many cranes with different weight limits.
For a crane to be able to carry more weight, the load must be closer to the mast. A crane is anchored to the ground for stable lifting, standing tall on a construction site.
Landing weight limitations
Make sure the surface or structure you land the pallet with the bags of concrete mix on can safely handle the weight.
Different surfaces and floors have different maximum weight holding capabilities and limitations, considering different materials buildings and floors are made from or built to hold, make sure not to overload a floor.
- Newly poured concrete floors require Acrow props underneath where the weight will be loaded and cannot hold additional weight until the concrete has had months of drying time.
- If loading heavy pallets with cement on the middle of old concrete or wooden floor make sure to support underneath the floor with Acrow props before you land the heavyweight.
- If you land a pallet on a finished surface make sure to protect the surface with old carpet or something similar.
Failing to take into consideration risks of damaging or breaking structures with the heavyweight of the palette, containing the bags of concrete on it, and even the weight of the vehicle used to transport combined, such as cars and forklifts, so make sure your driveway is strong enough.
What determines the number of concrete bags that can fit on a pallete?
Average lifting weight limitations
When using pallets, their maximum weight and carrying capacity should be considered, which primarily depends on the size of the pallet, the material of the pallet to be used, and its weight ratings.
Pallet dimensions and types
The three most common pallet dimensions are 48 inches x 40 inches, 42 inches x 42 inches, 48 inches x 48 inches.
The 48 inches x 40 inches pallet is the most common pallet size due to its size and versatility.
There are three common types of pallets, two of them being wooden pallets: block pallets and stringer pallets.
Block pallets are traditionally made of softwood and are most commonly used in Europe, with an average carrying capacity of 4,600 pounds.
Meanwhile, stringer pallets are made of hardwood and are more common in North America, with an average carrying capacity of 2,500 lbs.
The main advantage of stringer pallets is that they are found to be the cheapest pallets and are available for commercial use.
Block pallets’ main advantage is that the size can be carried by forklift from all four sides, while a stringer pallet can only be accessed by a forklift from two sides.
The third type of pallet is the plastic pallet. Plastic pallets are significantly stronger and more durable compared to wooden pallets.
Plastic pallets can hold up to 5,500 pounds, despite being much lighter. There are no screws or other hardware and each pallet is uniform with every other pallet since plastic pallets are molded in assembly.
- Lightweight. Lightweight concrete units have an average density of fewer than 105 pounds/feet^3 (1,680 kilogram/meter^3).
- Medium Weight. Medium-weight concrete units have an average density of more than 105 pounds/feet^3 (1,680 kilogram/meter^3) or more but are less than 125 pounds/feet^3 (2,000 kilogram/meter^3).
- Normal Weight. Normal weight concrete units have an average density of 125 pounds/feet^3 (2,000 kilogram/meter^3) or more.
Common weights of cement bags
- A 40-pound (18.14 kilograms) bag of concrete cement is the average smallest bag available commercially. In a cubic yard, 90 bags of a 40-pound bag of concrete is needed.
- A 50-pound (22.67 kilograms) bag of concrete cement is not as commonly available since bag weights tend to rise evenly. 50-pound bags of concrete mix are mostly available as mortar mixes.
- A 60-pound (27.21 kilograms) bag of concrete cement is slightly under 30 kilograms, which would leave some leftovers of concrete mix if a project would require 60 kilograms of concrete.
- An 80-pound (36.28 kilograms) bag of concrete cement is commercially available, also for most concrete mix types as the largest size of the bag. This is appropriate for more extreme and larger projects, but not good for small labor jobs due to the high yield.
- A 90-pound (40.82 kilograms) bag of concrete cement is not as commercially available since bags of concrete are only usually available in weights divisible by 20, such as 40, 60, and 80. However, there are cement and masonry mixes available for over 90-pound bags.
How much weight of concrete can a pallet hold?
The average 48 inches x 40 inches wooden block pallet can carry up to 4,600 pounds, which is almost as heavy as the average SUV car.
4,600 pounds can vary in the number of bags, depending on the set weight per bag. Heavier bags on pallets will have fewer bags, while lighter bags on pallets will have more bags.
Weight limit of imperial concrete bags
How many bags of 40 lbs concrete bags sit on a pallet?
On one pallet, around 80 bags of 40-pound concrete can be accommodated. The weight would then total to around 3200 pounds per pallet.
A 40-pound or 18.14 kilograms bag of concrete is the typically smallest bag of concrete mix commercially available.
How many 50 lbs bags of concrete bags sit on a pallet?
Around 64 bags of 50-pound concrete mix bags can fit on one average pallet.
A 50-pound or 22.67 kilograms bag of concrete is not as commonly available compared to many other concrete mixes since bag weights tend to rise evenly
How many 60 lbs bags of concrete bags sit on a pallet?
On one pallet, around 56 bags of 60-pound concrete can be accommodated by it. 60 pounds is slightly less than 30 kilograms, weighing 27.21 kilograms.
It is slightly smaller than the standard 80 pounds for concrete mix bags.
How many 80 lbs bags of concrete bags sit on a pallet?
Around 42 bags of 80-pound concrete mix bags can fit on one average pallet.
The 80-pound concrete mix bag is the more standard size among the concrete bag sizes.
Bigger bags are heavier and will need more caution when transporting and handling due to the extra weight.
Weight limit of metric concrete bags
How many bags of 25 kgs of concrete sit on a pallet?
On one pallet, around 50 bags of 25-kilogram bags of concrete can be accommodated by a single average pallet.
25 kilograms is not as heavy as the 60-pound bags though heavier than 50 pounds, which is 55.11 when converted to kilograms.
How many bags of 30 kgs concrete sit on a pallet?
Around 48 bags of 30-kilogram bags of concrete mix bags can fit on a single average pallet.
30 kilograms is not as heavy as the 80-pound bags, though heavier than 60-pound bags, which is 66.13 when converted to kilograms.
How do you calculate the number of concrete bags needed for your project?
It’s important to calculate the concrete needed for your project like house renovations in order to avoid wasting and project delays.
Calculating the needed amount of concrete is also needed for knowing the number of bags to be loaded and transported on pallets.
This is one of the skills you can learn during your apprenticeship as a builder.
For cement, a 40-pound bag of concrete yields about 0.011 cubic yards of concrete.
A 60-pound bag of concrete yields about 0.017 cubic yards.
An 80-pound bag of concrete yields about 0.022 cubic yards.
A 90-pound bag of concrete yields about 0.025 cubic yards.
To calculate how much concrete you need for your project:
- Determine the desired thickness of concrete for the project
- Measure the length and width of the area for coverage
- Multiply the length by the width to determine the square footage
- Convert the thickness from inches to feet
- Multiply the thickness in feet by the square footage to determine cubic feet
- Convert cubic feet to cubic yards by multiplying by .037
What is concrete MPa?
Concrete MPa relates directly to the strength capacity of concrete. More specifically MPa stands for “megapascal”, measuring the compressive strength of concrete.
One MPa is equal to one million pascals (Pa); as a pascal is one newton of force per square meter, a megapascal is one million newtons per square meter.
Building codes and construction drawings will require a minimum MPa for each concrete building element for strength quality, durability, and safety.
A higher MPa would indicate that the concrete is stronger and less likely to fail, compared to concrete with a lower MPa.
Tips for handling concrete bags on a pallet
- Have an on-site Rolling jack to move the pallet around the site.
- Protected cement from dampness and moisture
- Do not place cement bags directly on concrete or wood floors
- Handle cement bags with caution
- Protected cement bags during transportation
- Store concrete bags separately to avoid contamination
- Provide adequate ventilation when stored in pallets in warehouses
- Do not drop the pallets to avoid damaging the pallet and the bags of concrete
- Be aware of surrounding when handling the pallet of concrete bags
Concrete has many uses for construction and civil projects.
Knowing how to transport bags of concrete and how many bags of concrete per pallet is essential to making a project streamlined and smooth, as well as ensuring the safety of those involved.
Having an on-site rolling jack will aid in lifting the weight of the bags and is simply convenient to have around for construction and mechanic work that would require lifting tons of weight, such as cars.
Pallets of concrete bags, and stacks of wood that would require manual lifting otherwise.
A lifting or rolling jack will be able to help by holding pallets and giving you the ability to move materials fast with no user effort or manual labor.
The on-site Rolling Jack is very powerful, and strong enough to lift cars which can then be used for lifting bags of concrete around.
Sounds like this can be improved for the next reader.
Please share how this article can be improved?
My name is Aaron, and thank you for reading my article. As a qualified builder, I share some tips here at Bangingtoolbox to help provide better DIY information on the internet.
Have a look around, and don’t hesitate to ask me any questions, you can find out more about me here.