Last Updated on
Sometimes there is a tree that is just blocking your view or a non-native tree that doesn’t fit. Most likely there is a tree that has been blocking your view or sun for a long time, and you have always had it on your mind to trim or cut it down.
It’s important to recognize that cutting down a tree with sizable weight, and height is a dangerous job. As it can be hard to predict exactly what will happen when a branch or tree falls.
If you are thinking of removing a tree, don’t risk injury or your life to save a few dollars, make sure you gradually work yourself up to bigger tree cutting jobs as you get more experienced. Never go too far out of your comfort zone with this particular DIY job.
That being said cutting down trees can be a hell of a fun job to do, and watch. Cutting or watching a tree fall, can beat the monthly “weed-eating“.
It’s important to call in professionals if you are unsure about the job. But if you are confident you can safely cut down a tree make you get someone else with experience to watch, as a second or third pair of eyes.
When To Get A Professional Tree Feller
Before you start thinking about cutting down a tree yourself, consider the questions below. And weigh them up with the price of getting a professional in to do the job.
It could be worth getting a pro in some cases, guys that do this every day have been trained to safely do the job and can take on the responsibility for any unexpected event.
Ask yourself these questions?
- Is it possible for the tree to do any damage to any of your property or a neighboring property? – Based on the position, and height of the tree
- Is the weight of the tree enough to do serious damage to you when it falls?
- Have you confidently cut down a tree before the same or bigger size?
- Is the tree or brunch on a steep angle? -This can be dangerous as the tree will snap and fall more suddenly and faster.
- Is the tree so upright? – it is difficult to judge the direction it will fall
- Is it a windy or wet day? – (better to do this job in dry non-slippery conditions, also when the wind isn’t an issue.
- Is the tree trimming job going to require you to climb the tree? – Such jobs can be considerably more dangerous especially without a harness. If you do have a harness you need to make sure that if you do fall there are other people and a plan to get you out of the harness quickly in an emergency. As hanging from a harness for more than a few minutes can also be life-threatening, because of bad blood circulation. It is also important to renumber that when a branch snaps it can catapult a tree and potentially send you flying if you don’t have good positioning.
It’s pretty obvious that you need to think through this job before working out if it something you can do.
Safer Ways To Cut Down A High Tree Brunch
How to safely trim a high tree branch? There are a few safer methods for trimming trees rather than climbing them and using a standard chainsaw. The safest way to trim high tree branches is to use an using a telescopic Pole Saw, some of these saws can extend 26 ft (8 m) or higher. I personally use one to save time with a ladder, on top of having a chain saw to use depending on the job.
Best Tool To Cut And Trim A Tree Branch
Extendable Tree Cutting Saw
What is the Cheapest way to cut a high tree branch? A telescopic hand pole saw is the safest and cheapest tool for cutting down a high tree branch. Without the need for a ladder, this tool makes a tree branch trimming job quick and safer than the ladder and standard chainsaw approach.
If a telescopic pole saw can reach the brunch you want to cut and it isn’t too large I recommend this method.
If the branch is bigger than let’s say 6 inches wide you might want to get the electric version of this saw to make the job easier, however, if you don’t want to spend the extra money, you can cut wider brunches by hand it will just take longer.
- Fast without the need of a ladder
- Safely cut high branches without a ladder
- Best for smaller sized brunches as with the manual pole hand saw
Electric Cordless Tree Cutting Pole Saw
What is the best way to cut a high tree branch? an electric cordless-chain-pole-saw like the hand pole saw it is safe in that you might not need a ladder, and it allows you to cut from a distance.
However, with an electric motor, it takes the manual work out of the cutting work, making the job quicker and easier.
- Fast without the need of a ladder and the need to cut by hand
- Safely cut high branches without a ladder
- More expensive than a hand operate pole saw
Trimming Tree Brunches With A Chain Saw
For trimming tree branches with a chainsaw you want to first under-cut the branch rather than cutting down from the top straight away. You could do this with a V cut, or a straight cut for a small brunch.
When you cut a fallen tree branch that is supported at both ends from the top, as the brunch snaps it can jamb the chainsaw blade. This is why cutting fallen branches from the underside, rather than top-down is more effective.
How To Cut Down A Tree With An Axe
How to cut down a tree with an axe? Cutting down trees with a wood splitting axe can be fun, but the axe is best suited for soft trees that cut more easily. Or smaller trees with less to cut.
How to cut down a tree with an axe:
- Make sure the tree is either small enough to push over or leaning in the direction you would like it to fall
- Make sure there are no big horizontal branches that could hit you or stop the tree from falling in the direction that you want
- Cut any horizontal branches, that are going to be in the way, or to distribute the weight in the direction you want the tree to fall.
- Cut a decent sized V shape check-out, facing the direction you would like the tree to fall.
- Once the V is as big as it can, without the tree falling over start to cut the other side with the axe. – Cut as high up as possible opposite the V cut, rather than at the bottom. This extra bit of tree in the stump can stop it falling back the wrong way.
- When the tree is on its last legs, make sure you are positioned safely and ready for it to fall, Give it the last swing with the ax or give the tree the push it needs to fall.
- Cheap Tool
- Fun to do
- A good way to cut small light trees
- With a slower cut, it is also more dangerous as a chain saw can make a quick cut with a smooth fall, Instead, an axe shakes the tree, this increases the chance of the tree falling back in the wrong direction.
- An axe cut can increase the chance of the tree falling off the stump onto the ground while staying level, and then falling as a second motion possibly backward towards you, for this reason, make sure you push the tree over to fold on the v cut, rather than hitting the tree with the axe and pushing the tree at the same time of the stump without it falling first.
Cut Down A Tree With A Chain Saw
- Must have tool really for anyone that lives close to a forest
- Quickly cut down trees and trim fallen tree branches ready for firewood
- A quality chainsaw is expensive, although you can get cheap chainsaws that last a decent amount of time
- Blades need sharpening from time to time
- A relatively dangerous tool to use
V Cuts, Back Cuts, And Wedges
Just like cutting down a tree with an axe you want to first do a v cut on the side you want the tree to fall. Continue to shape this until the tree is close to the tipping point.
Once the V cut is finished, slowly start to cut back from the other side at the top of the V.
If the tree isn’t starting to tilt in the direction you want the tree to fall, you can insert a wedge into this cut, and hit it with the back of an axe or a big hammer.
From the beginning, you can tie a rope to the tree and run it from a distance, to then pull the tree over when it is on its last legs.
Cut Down A Large Tree In Sections
It is safe to cut down a tree in sections, its important to take your time and cut down a tree in as many sections as you need to.
For a large tree, you want to work your way down from the top while pruning the side brunches to make it easier to judge the weight distribution. Cutting and pruning the side branches is going to make the tree lighter and take off some of the weight, making the job safer.
When you first trim the trees side branches it will mean less damage will be done to surrounding bush when the big fall happens. If you have huge branches out the side of a tree this could clear and wipe out a big area of the healthy surrounding bush. Instead, if the tree comes down in small bits, less damage will be done to the surrounding trees.
Cut Down A Tree Near A House
How to cut down a tree near a house? or property that could be damaged is to use a rope with tension as a safety measure to stop the tree unexpectedly falling in the wrong direction that could cause damage to property.
To do this securely anchor a rope or wire with tension on the tree and anchor point, to stop it from falling in the wrong direction. A good anchor might be a much bigger tree, that can comfortably take the weight of the tree your cutting down.
For smaller trees you can tie a rock to the end of a rope, throw it over the top of a tree with a noose. When you have secured a rope to the top of a tree you could run the rope far from the impact zone and have a few people pulling the tree from a distance instead of having to make the final cut under the tree.
Never Do This When Cutting Down A Tree
Things to avoid when cutting down a tree is doing anything you are not comfortable with, cutting down trees is dangerous if you don’t know exactly what to do don’t do it. Avoid doing any tree cutting job alone, instead, have a group of people that can help out and be a second pair of eyes.
Cutting down a tree can be very rewarding and a fun job to do, but as discussed above stay safe and don’t do anything out of your comfort zone. Be aware at all times what is happening and never rush the job. Take your time, and cut down a tree in sections. Use the safest tools for the job be that an extendable tree cutting saw, to avoid the need for a ladder. Or a chain-saw with safety guards, long pants and a face shield.
Follow the 1/10 Rule: That is for every tree you cut down plant 10 more. There are not enough trees around most residential areas and you can’t really have enough.
Anything less than 5 stars, means I can improve.
Help me improve with your feedback!
Please tell me how I can tweak this post?